Born in Marlborough in the year the first vines were planted, Jules has literally grown up with Sauvignon Blanc. Local girl Jules spent several years putting her viticulture and oenology post graduate degree to use as Group Senior Winemaker for one of Marlborough’s largest wineries, and then as Consultant Winemaker to the region’s most prestigious brand.
Several life-affirming vintages in Italy underscored Jules’ love of wine as a simple pleasure to be enjoyed alongside good food and great friends. Jules strongly believes wine should be more about creating great memories and less about status or cellaring potential.
In 2001, Jules Taylor Wines emerged as a little moonlighting project with a mere 200 cases. Five years, two children and many, many late nights later, George and Jules took the nail-biting decision to put everything on the line, jack in their day jobs, and give their dream a shot. Jules left her corporate winemaking career to give her the freedom to make wines the way she thinks they should be made.
Extensive experience with Marlborough’s various vineyard flavor characters, a deep attachment to her home region along with strong personal connections to the grape growing families of Marlborough, allow Jules to source hidden pockets of outstanding fruit.
Come harvest time, you’ll find Jules relentlessly walking the rows of each vineyard, tasting berries for days on end, searching for the perfect flavor profile. Leading up to the crucial decision of when to pick to ensure optimum results, she makes the call purely by taste, not relying on results from the laboratory.
Jules and George are a picky lot. They only make one batch of each wine at harvest. So, enjoy it while you can. Once it’s gone, it’s well and truly gone.
Sales Kit, Shelf Talkers and Accolades
- 2017 Chardonnay 91 points Suckling
- 2017 Gruner Veltliner 92 points Suckling
- 2017 Gruner Veltliner Editor’s Choice Wine Enthusiast
- 2017 OTQ Chardonnay 92 points Suckling
- 2017 OTQ Chardonnay 91 points Robert Parker
- 2017 OTQ Pinot Noir 92 points Suckling
- 2017 OTQ Rosé 90 points Robert Parker
- 2017 Pinot Gris in Bloomberg
- 2017 Pinot Noir 90 points Suckling
- 2017 Pinot Noir 91 points, Robert Parker
- 2017 Sauvignon Blanc 90 points Wine Enthusiast
- 2017 Pinot Gris Wine Spectator “World of Possibilities”
- 2018 OTQ Rosé 90 points Suckling
- 2018 OTQ Sauvignon Blanc 92 points Wine Enthusiast
- 2018 OTQ Rosé 91 points Robert Parker
- 2018 Sauvignon Blanc 90 points Suckling
- 2018 Sauvignon Blanc 90 points Robert Parker
- 2018 OTQ Chardonnay 92 points Sucking
- 2018 Grüner Veltliner 91 points Suckling
- 2018 Pinot Noir 91 points Sucking
- 2018 Pinot Noir 90 points Wine Enthusiast